Thursday, July 17, 2014

Summer Mornings

4:00 a.m. is my favorite time of the day. I like that hour. I usually awaken sometime around then and visit the Loo, and like the fact that the house is quiet, and everyone is where they should be...in their beds.
I wander to the kitchen for a drink of water, look out at the yard to see if there are any cougars or skunks or other dangerous villains, and have time to think. My thoughts are relaxed and uncluttered at that time of day and there is no pressure.  I have a few hours to go back to bed if I want, or I can sit in a chair for awhile, or kneel and pray. If the dogs need to go out, they will get up with me at that time too, and I will go out too and look at the stars. The 4:00 hour on our street is silent and I can hide in my too-short pajamas in the darkness behind the giant ponderosa in our front yard.  The dogs do their biz quickly and quietly and since nothing very interesting is going on, and because they are afraid of the dark, they come in quickly, without my having to chase or call after them ten times which is what happens if they get out during daylight. 
It is the best hour for me, for thoughts that feel sacred and clear.
6:30 a.m is the next favorite time for me.  I wake and roll out of bed for a walk, followed by some weed pulling and other gardening while the air is cool and delicious. 
By 7:30 a.m. the persons who don't have work off for the summer have been bidden "good-day" at work and the dogs have been fed and some laundry and dishes have been started.
The morning continues on with breakfast, scripture reading, checking bank accounts and e-mails while moving the sprinkler around the yard if it's a watering day-or hand watering on other days.
I am inspired everyday of my summer vacation by the possibilities for hiking, reading, artwork or writing that might happen!
By 10:00 a.m. it's time to think about what we're going to eat for the day and face going to the store. It's never as bad as I think it's going to be, especially if I get it done early.
If, by 11:00 a.m. it's not too hot I can usually try to get some other cleaning done, try to be happy while trying to get teenagers to want to do anything productive....or fun, on any given day, like get out of bed before 1:00 p.m. But, If it's hot, and because we have a swamp cooler that only really works on days when it's less that 98 degrees I start to fade into a thing that dosn't care. 
By lunchtime on hot days, all my morning optimism turns into clamminess and a desire to escape into the basement for an extra degree or two of coolness and sink into the land of bad Netflix movie choices. I have been known to not emerge again, aside from obtaining nourishment, and/or trying to find a reasonable representation of nourishment to the starving masses that live at my house and/or to those who may be visiting,  that won't take me or my kitchen past the degree of heat where things start to combust. 
If you're looking for me this summer, try to find me before lunch time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment