Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hope and Happy on Masterpiece Theater

In the final episode of "Little Dorrit" Arthur discovers his feelings for Amy and she reveals hers for him. But he bids her "away" because now that he is in debtor's prison, (Not through any fault of his own, but because he put all his money in the Miggles' bank) he must not let her be tainted by any association with him. She will not allow this and pledges that she will come and visit him every day. When his business partner shortly thereafter arrives to tell him that his trip to Russia has been successful and that his invention has made them both a great fortune... I cried. We were all sitting and watching at the table, eating a late dinner, when the tears started.
"Oh my gosh, Mom is crying!" While I sobbed and cried like a baby, I tried to explain that if they'd been watching with me for the past four weeks they'd understand what this meant, but in this house I'm the only fan of Victorian Era Sagas.
I had not read this Dicken's story and although I hoped for the best, and most of the Dickens' I know about have happy endings, you just never know. I'm ashamed to admit that I feared the worst. I imagined too many terrible scenes! It's exhausting really.
In Dickens, as in life, there is a better chance that things will work out for the best than that they will not. Why think that the worst might happen when it's just as likely and much more probable that the best will happen?
Why not hope that the honest and good guy and his "little amy" (who really could care less about money problems-and was just as happy to live with him forever in debtors prison) will find in the end that everything will turn out just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment