Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Marriage list for my children

In thinking about the news of Ms. Kardashian's recent failed marriage today I was considering the list I have made for my own children regarding what they should look for in a mate. I have never shared this complete list with them, only at times when for example we're hiking and I say something like; "Make sure the person you marry likes to hike." or about themselves; "Don't burp at the table or no one will want to marry you."
Here's the list I have for my children I hope they will think about... (In no particular order)

1. Don't marry anyone who says "I don't cook". I think everyone in a family should know and love to cook at least a few things.

2. Marry someone who reads and can tell you what their favorite books are.

3. Don't marry anyone who parks in a handicapped stall. ( Unless, of course they are a person with a disability)

4. Don't marry anyone who makes fun of anybody.

5. Don't marry anyone who takes longer than 20 minutes to get ready for the day.

6. Watch out for girls under 30 with fake nails. (Except maybe for special occasions)

7. Marry someone who loves dogs. (If someone is kind to animals-they are usually kind to everybody)

8. Marry someone only after you've hiked with them. The longer the hike the better. Do they complain a lot? What is the conversation like? Are they so focused on the heat, the bugs, messing up their hair or getting back to their video games that they miss the beauty of nature?

9. Marry someone who believes in the same God you do.

10. Find someone who will tell you what their faults are. They will usually admit when they are wrong.

11. Marry someone who's parents did not give them everthing they wanted.

12. Marry someone who thinks you're awesome and who does not tell you what to do.
Run fast and far away from someone who is critical and who wants you to change.

13. Look for someone who has a dog, and then see if they clean up their dogs poop. Don't trust anyone who won't clean up after their dog. I firmly believe that people who don't mind cleaning up after their dogs are not afraid to get messy, tend to have open minds and hearts, are willing to serve others, can weather life's storms without freaking out, and are okay with the fact that sometimes you have to put up with a little crap from those you love.

1 comment: